Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Farm Subsidies

I'm embarrassed to say, but before today, I didn't really know anything about Farm Subsidies.

After reading both of the articles, I went and found another website filled with many opinions on the recent bill.

http://www.ewg.org/farmeditorials

To me, it looks as if it's something along the lines of welfare, or well, that's maybe what it should look like. Farmers who are doing very well off don't really need the extra money to be wasted on them, but farmers who maybe experienced a natural disaster would need the extra money very much.

Looking into it, I guess Welfare was reformed to be a limited deal while I was younger (in the 1990s) instead of being available for a person's lifetime. Maybe they should think about implementing the same idea with farming? If somebody goes over their limit for legit causes, maybe they just weren't destined to be in the farming business.

People may still be able to cheat the system, but I think it would still save us some money as a whole over all.

No comments: