Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Nutritional Extremes

I never stress this fact enough: As a citizen of America, we are way fortunate. We have more than enough, even when we thing we have nothing at all. For example, our homeless can easily receive food three times a day for free because of programs which reach out to America's homeless, and for only a few dollars, even, it's easy to have a filling meal at a fast food restaurant. On almost every street corner there is somewhere which provides food; not only food, but also food that's convenient to eat. While we can eat ourselves to death here, there are families who die from lack of food all over the world. While some may say, "It's not our problem," or, "How does that affect me?" I think it's worth looking a little deeper to decide whether or not these people deserve help or not, and I believe the answer is pretty easy to come by.

I don't know a whole lot about most of these countries, but I do know that in some of them, primarily in Africa, have very rich soil, and to create a garden takes no more effort than throwing down a few seeds. I wonder in my head, why haven't the natives of these lands figured out this process yet? Or have they, and their "government" is interfering? I do know, sadly enough, many of the leaders use military force to get anything they want, and allow only their military to eat supplies that are sent. Maybe the best way to go about assisting the less fortunate around the world wouldn't be to send them supplies, but fund education so that they can be self sufficient in the future, rather than learning to rely on assistance from the outside.

I know my thoughts are a little mixed, that's how they're coming and going in my mind.

But anyway, ironically enough, on my myspace I had created a small section which I advertised this same point, with a little link to the company I am working through to do a little something about this problem around the world. Currently, I'm paying $35 a month, which may seem like a lot, but when it comes down to it, I believe that that is the best $35 a month I could ever be spending.

Anyway, here's my copy/paste job from my previous entry:
You know, we're way fortunate, being in America and all, why not help out the rest of the world
too? Sure we've got problems here, but that doesn't mean we can't spend a few minutes for other countries. I'm personally acting on this challenge by sponsoring a child in Uganda, it's real easy to do too! Click on the picture below for more information on how you might help out too! (I promise I'm not being paid to advertise by World Vision):

No comments: